Indoor Air Quality Guide in Richmond, VA
For expert HVAC and construction services, you can count on Taylor Construction Services Heating & Air Conditioning. We provide personalized, high-quality indoor air quality services to residents and businesses in Richmond, Midlothian, and the surrounding communities in Virginia. At Taylor Construction Services Heating & Air Conditioning, our motto is “One Call Does It All.”
Maintaining good indoor air quality is important for all households. Taylor Construction Services Heating & Air Conditioning has put together this handy Indoor Air Quality Guide to educate homeowners on the importance of good air quality and the issues which can affect their homes.
Indoor Air Quality Guide: Air quality basics
The term “indoor air quality” refers to the quality of air inside your home. The quality of your indoor air is something many homeowners don’t often think about, but it plays a significant role in determining comfort. When air quality is poor, family members can suffer from a variety of symptoms, including health issues.
Outside, issues that affect air quality are controlled by natural elements, such as sunlight and the weather conditions of your area. Indoors, we don’t experience the same elements, so your house may need some help to manage your indoor air quality. Air quality technology gives homeowners the ability to control conditions inside their homes to effectively manage comfort levels.
Indoor Air Quality Guide: Common air quality issues
There are many air quality issues that affect homes. Pollutants exist inside as well as outdoors and can easily go unnoticed because they’re typically microscopic and can’t be seen. Some of the common pollutants found inside include the following:
- Pollen, dander, and other allergens
- Fumes from cigarette smoke, cleaners, air fresheners, and colognes
- Dirt, dust, and dead skin cells
- Carbon monoxide
In high concentrations, these pollutants can severely diminish indoor air quality. Poor indoor air quality has been found to trigger allergies and asthma, increasing the symptoms your family members feel. Those with respiratory issues and infections may also be affected by poor indoor air quality. Some pollutants found in your home are more dangerous than others: exposure to carbon monoxide can be deadly, and long-term exposure to carcinogens such as cigarette smoke can have serious effects on your health.
Even family members without the health issues mentioned above can be affected by poor indoor air quality. Poor indoor air quality can cause cold-like symptoms such as a runny nose and headaches, and allergy-like symptoms such as itchy skin and eyes. You may easily overlook these symptoms because they are commonly associated with colds and allergies, but they may actually be a result of exposure to poor air quality inside your home.
Indoor Air Quality Guide: Methods for improvement
If indoor air quality issues are affecting your home, there are steps you can take to improve air quality and keep your family comfortable. The first step to managing pollutants in your home is to change your habits, as parts of your household routine can contribute to poor air quality. Take these initial steps to combat poor air quality at home:
- Regularly change the heating and cooling system’s air filter, which will help reduce the amount of pollutants entering your living areas.
- Switch to fume-free cleaners and eliminate toxic cleaners from your cleaning routine.
- Regularly clean surfaces within your home to remove excess contaminants such as dust, dirt, skin cells, dander, and pollen.
- Use natural air fresheners in place of chemical air fresheners.
In addition to these measures, Taylor Construction Services Heating & Air Conditioning offers a number of products and services which improve indoor air quality and help homeowners control pollutant levels. Our air quality services include the following:
- Air duct replacement: Air duct replacement can improve airflow and eliminate air leaks that let contaminants into your system.
- Ultraviolet lights: Using ultraviolet lights helps homeowners kill and control mold growth within the duct system.
- Air cleaners and filtration: Air cleaners and filtration can greatly reduce the amount of contaminants coming into your living spaces by removing them before they reach your family.
- Duct cleaning: Duct cleaning reduces the amount of pollutant buildup in your ducts so these harmful contaminants won’t circulate into your living spaces.
- Dehumidifiers: A dehumidifier will help homeowners manage humidity levels, as excess humidity can also contribute to poor indoor air quality.
As a local family-owned business for over 25 years, Taylor Construction Services Heating & Air Conditioning has earned a premier reputation by putting the customer’s needs first. Our goal is to provide homeowners and businesses with the finest heating and cooling systems available at a reasonable cost. For reliable, courteous service in Richmond, Midlothian, and the surrounding communities in Virginia, call our office today to schedule a consultation. We’re here to serve you!